A fair remuneration
A fair remuneration
Nieuw Geneco pleads for a fair remuneration for composers from work and rights. You can download the fee guidelines below and read more about entering into an appropriate contract and accompanying rights. It is therefore advisable to enter into discussion/negotiation at an early stage.
In the case of a composition assignment, an appropriate fee between the commissioning party and the party accepting the assignment is agreed upon in advance. In order to be able to determine what is appropriate, the Performing Arts Fund NL (Fonds Podiumkunsten) has used a so-called table of fees (honorariumtabel). This table indicates which fee is appropriate for a composition. This does not concern a genre or style. Relevant factors are the duration of the piece, how many voices or parts and the labour-intensiveness.
At the request of the Performing Arts Fund NL, Nieuw Geneco is currently researching the applicability of the table of fees for all genres, in conjunction with the various fellow professional associations.
A contract should in any case include:
- the description of commissioned piece based on the instrumentation, duration and, if required, the style;
- the assignment fee, the time of payment and a possible advance payment scheme;
- the completion and delivery date of the piece, where necessary broken down into various dates for delivery of separate parts and performance material in the event that the composer takes responsibility for that.
In addition, one can also specify:
- an arrangement in the event that one of the parties fails to fulfil the agreement, such as a penalty clause or an arrangement relating to liability for damage resulting from the shortcoming;
- whether or not the work will be published, the choice of publisher or, if the work is not to be published, the way in which the performance material will be created;
- separate compensation for travel, research, material and production costs, which is separate from the fee agreed upon;
- relevant details relating to the work, such as the level of difficulty.